Monday, August 25, 2008

This Past Weekend

Last Friday I got a voicemail from a friend saying that they haven't seen me out for karaoke in a while and they would really like it if I could come out and sing a couple of songs. I decided that would be a great idea to get out of the house for a couple of hours. I called Lani (since she likes to sing too) but she was too broke to go out. She said that she would watch Tony for us so Eric and I could go out together though. That was really sweet. She kept him overnight for us and I picked him up Saturday morning. Then on the spur of the moment, we called and made an appointment to get our hair cut. Mom met us in town and we all three cut our hair and donated it. Then we went to Kutter Harley-Davidson and picked out a scarf for Mom. It was a fun thing to do for a "girls day". Then Mom went back home to meet up with her sister Emma. Emma has been diagnosed with dimentia and is rapidly slipping away mentally. Emma's daughter-in-law drove her down for a short afternoon visit with Mom. And then at about 7:00 that evening I went over to Mom's house for a visit with family that was down from Minnesota. My nephew, Charles, is starting school at U-Rock this fall so his ex-step-father, Nick, gave him a ride down to help him get set up in his apartment. Nick also brought the little kids with him too. Ben is 6 and Alicia will turn 9 next month. It was very nice of him to go out of his way and bring the kids over to Mom's for a visit in spite of the nasty divorce proceedings that are currently underway between him and my sister Laura. I have some nice pictures of Mom with the grandkids now. All-in-all it was a good weekend. :) A friend of mine mentioned in an email about a living will. That is a very good suggestion, so I am going to make a note to have Mom discuss it with her attorney on Wednesday. She needs to have it in place that a power of attorney can make financial and healthcare decisions for her if she becomes unable to do so for herself.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi Mary, Good idea about the blog! I'm glad you had a nice out to let your hair down(or what's left) and sing. When anyone mentions kareoke....I think of you! You are your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and the little one who hasn't finished baking yet. Love, Ang